Accessing and Managing Groups
Groups are one of the most useful features available to both instructors and students in Blackboard. The upgrade for the Fall 2014 semester included enhanced features to the group component, including a powerful but streamlined set of Group Management options to utilize.
To begin creating groups in your course, follow these steps:
- Navigate to your course site
- Click "Control Panel"
- Select "Users and Groups"
- Select "Groups"
From the group creation main page, you can create a Single Group, choosing to enroll students manually or have the students self-enroll, or create a Group Set that uses the same enroll option for all the groups.
You can also use the option to export groups from another course (it will create a CSV file) and then import that file into your new course.
If you would like to export groups from a previous course to import into a new course, follow these steps:
- In groups, click "Export."
- Select whether you would like "Groups only," "Group Members only," or "Groups and group members" and click submit.
- Once you receive the email that the action has been completed, navigate back to the Groups page.
- Click Export.
- Click Export History.
- Click to download and save the CSV files that have been created.
- Navigate to your new course Groups page.
- Click Import.
- Browse your computer to select the CSV files you recently exported.
- Click Submit. You will see the groups appear in your new course.
The last option on the group page is the Group Settings. From here, instructors can allow students to create and edit their own groups for a course site.