Fully Integrated Calendar
Get ready for a dramatically new and improved calendar!
In the Fall 2014 semester Blackboard introduced a new integrated calendar that allows instructors and students immediate access to course events on their mobile devices. Combine this with your personal calendar to manage all your due dates and events in one convenient spot.
The Completely New Integrated Calendar incorporates:
- Direct linking to third party calendars such as Outlook, Google, iPhone, Mac iCal, Yahoo, Android, and Windows Live
- Automatic creation of calendar events for items with due dates (tests, assignments, etc.)
- Direct access to associated calendar items such as assignments and tests
- Quick and easy creation of calendar events by simply clicking on desired dates
- Drag-and-drop date change for events, which automatically updates the associated course item
- Easy toggling between day, week, and month views
- Color-coded filtering of personal, course, and organization events
- Usage of the Adaptive Release and Availability rules
Take a moment to learn more by watching our video tutorial!
Calendar Enhancements, Quick Video Tutorial
How to Create an Event
When you create items with due dates, such as tests or assignments, the calendar event automatically appears on the course calendar for that day, but you may also want to add events that are not associated to an item, such as a meeting, a reminder, or an appointment. Only instructors and administrators can add events to the institution, organization, and course calendars.
- On the calendar, click the plus (+) to create a new event. You can also click a specific date to create an event.
- Type the Name of the new event.
- Select a Calendar to associate the event with.
- Select the start and end times.
- Type the Event Description.
- Click Save.
NOTE: There is a 4,000 character limit for event descriptions.
How to Manage Recurring Events
If desired, you can make events repeat by selecting the Repeat check box. This allows you to create multiple events based on a repeating pattern.
Specifics on Repeating Events and Limitations
||Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Supported
||End after X number of times -OR- on a particular date.
||Day of the week supported. End after X number of times -OR- on a particular date.
||Day of the month (1-31) or day of week (first Sunday, second Monday, and so on) supported. End after X number of times -OR- on a particular date.
How to Edit or Delete an Event
- On the Calendar, navigate to the date of the event
- Click the event to edit or delete it
- Or, click and drag an event to another date in the main view to change the date of the event (the new day/time between the calendar and an associated item will remain in sync)
- Or, click and drag an event from the main view to another date on the smaller monthly view
Adding a Calendar Tool Link to the Course Menu
If you want students to access the course calendar from your course, you can add a link to the course menu for one-click access to the tool. You can also customize the name of the link.
- In the top left corner of the page within the course menu, locate and select the gray square with the white plus (+) symbol and choose Tool Link
- Provide a name in the text field for the link and select Media Gallery from the Type drop down menu
- If student/participant users need access to this link, be sure to check the Available to Users box
- Select Submit
How to Link Third Party Calendars
You can link to third party calendars such as Outlook, Google, iPhone, Mac iCal, Yahoo, Android, and Windows Live.
- Navigate to your Calendar
- Below the list of calendars click the button Get External Calendar Link
- Copy the URL with the .ics extension to use in the following integration instructions, provided by Blackboard
NOTE: This calendar link is unique to your account, so do not share the link with others.
Tips to help you link Third Party Calendars
- Click the down-arrow next to Other calendars
- Select Add by URL from the menu
- Enter the Blackboard Calendar URL in the field provided
- Click the Add Calendar button. The calendar will appear in the Other Calendars section of the calendar list to the left
- In Account Settings choose the Internet Calendars tab
- Click on New and Paste the Blackboard Calendar URL into the location and click Add
- Select "Settings"
- Select "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
- Select "Add Account..." under Accounts
- Select "Other" at the bottom
- Select "Add Subscribed Calendar"
- Type the Blackboard Calendar URL
- Select "Next"
- Open iCal
- From the Calendar menu, choose "Subscribe"
- Next, enter the Blackboard Calendar URL into the field Calendar URL
- Click "Subscribe"
- Navigate to calendar.yahoo.com
- Click the plus (+) icon next to "Subscribed"
- Choose "Subscribe to other calendars"
- Enter the Blackboard Calendar URL
NOTE: Yahoo cannot subscribe to the URL if the server IP address is specified instead of the server name.
Subscribe to the Blackboard Learn calendar in Google Calendar by using the steps described in the section for "Google Calendar" above
- Go to the Android phone
- Applications > Calendar
- Menu > Calendars to display
- Calendars to sync
- Check the Blackboard Learn calendar you subscribed to in Google, then tap "OK"
- Go to calendar.live.com
- Click "Subscribe"
- Choose "Subscribe to a public calendar"
- Paste the Blackboard Calendar URL
- Enter a Calendar Name
- Click "Subscribe to Calendar" button